Werner Fornos Fellowship
About the Position
The Population Institute, a 45-year old non-profit policy and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C., offers a Werner Fornos Fellowship (paid) to recent college graduates interested in working in the field of population. The Institute, which is headquartered on Capitol Hill, educates policymakers, the media, and the general public about global sustainability, the implications of rapid population growth, and the benefits that flow from meeting the family planning and reproductive health needs of women around the world.
Named after a former president of the Population Institute, the Werner Fornos Fellowship offers a stipend and gives qualified candidates an opportunity to gain valuable experience working for a dynamic organization. The four-month internship gives participants an inside look at how small non-profits can make a big difference in the policy arena. The Fellow will work with organization staff, including the president and public policy director, to research, write, and disseminate fact sheets, reports and other educational materials.
- Bachelor's degree in a public-policy related field;
- A strong interest in population, global sustainability, poverty reduction, eradication of hunger, and reproductive health and rights;
- Experience or familiarity with social media as an education and mass communication tool;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing;
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Attention to detail and the ability to work independently;
- Good judgment in problem solving and decision making; and
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct background research for social media, factsheets and reports;
- Assist in the writing and dissemination of factsheets and reports;
- Attend conference and meetings, as needed;
- Assist with events organized by the Institute;
- Prepare documents, reports and presentations; and
- Assist in clerical duties and other duties as assigned.
How to apply
Qualified and Interested applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to submit a resume and a cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include the position title in the subject line of the email.